Friday 4 September 2009

Meh

Following last week’s entirely unshocking news that readers of The Incredible Suit voted Pulp Fiction the greatest Quentin Tarantino film, like, ever, I fully expected you to vote for The Dark Knight as the number one Christopher Nolan movie, if only because I thought you were all as predictable as the quality of Shia LaBeouf’s future career.

However, you proved me to be a cynical, imbecilic bumwit by voting for Memento instead, which was a very splendid thing of you to do, even though any sane cynical, imbecilic bumwit knows the correct answer is Batman Begins. So I phoned Chris, great mates that we are, to give him the good news, and guess what he said? He said, right, get this, “Suit Incredible The of readers, much very thanks!” Geddit? DO YOU GET IT?!!

All right, look, it’s Friday, I’m tired. I couldn’t even think of a good idea for this week’s poll, so to celebrate the awesome averageness of The Hurt Locker (see this post), I’ve randomly chosen five perfect examples of mediocrity that you’ve hopefully seen, and you can vote for the most average of all of them. Not the best, not the worst, just the one that makes you go “meh” with all the enthusiasm of Sean Connery by the time he made Diamonds Are Forever.

Now a while ago I posted a clip from Charlie Chaplin’s A Dog’s Life, which I expect enriched your lives to the point where you thought, “it surely can’t get any better than this. Thanks to The Incredible Suit my life is as perfect as Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo”. Well, if that’s the case my work here is done, but because you can never have too much slapstickery, here’s the end of Chaplin’s 1916 short The Pawnshop, in which Charlie gets his head stuck in a double bass. I got my head stuck in a kettle once. It was quite painful but I was in my element.



To comment on this post, click here

3 comments :

  1. Enjoyed the clip Mr Suit. I got my leg stuck in a bog once. That really dropped me in the sh1t...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaplin played for sympathy. I disliked Chaplin from the moment adults informed me how wonderful he was and obliged me to watch him flirting with a girl or eating his boot laces. I think Buster Keaton is the silent era comic genius and Harold Lloyd was almost as good.
    Chaplin as a film score composer impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lefthand, what kind of fool gets their leg stuck in a bog? You're meant to stand in front of it or sit on it you numpty.

    Tony, I completely agree that It's Keaton, Lloyd, Chaplin in descending order of greatness. However as I'm going through silent comedy in a vaguely chronological order it's Chaplin I'm posting at the moment. Keaton didn't really get that funny until 1920 when he stopped working with Fatty Arbuckle. Watch this space, Buster's moment will come!

    ReplyDelete